Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bountiful Baskets & PeakFit Challenge Review: Pure Strength 1 Review

Last Week: I found out about this super cool organization called Bountiful Baskets and just HAVE to share!!!! They are all over the US (not all states, but many) and offer cheap produce via a co-op. The really cool thing is a) the price- its only $15 for a TON of produce (see pic!) and b) you don't have to commit to buying each week- you buy when you want to buy. Which is a huge selling point for me. Its just DH & I so I can't commit to buying a ton of produce each week- so I buy when we need it and when I know I can pick it up. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that they have a pick-up location about 3 minutes from my house- we live in the outskirts so thats a bonus! Each week you get a variety and they have a ton of cheap add-ons like whole grain bread, seasonal packs, etc etc...check out the website for more info and to see if they have a pick up location in your area.

Today's Review: PeakFit Challenge Pure Strength 1
Michelle Dozois, 2011 ***** (4.5 of 5 stars)


Michelle leads this 52 minute strength workout in a spacious white & hardwood room with a group of background exercisers. You will  need dumbbells and your PeakFit bands for this workout. A few modifications are shown. While this is a strength only workout- my heart was pumping and I was sweating up a storm (it was hot but...).


I would say this is a moderately heavy weight, moderately paced workout (similar to S90 in terms of poundage and pace IMO). The workout is broken up into 5 cycles. Each cycle focuses on one body area and finishes with a total body exercise. Each body area is hit 2ce. The cycles are: Back, Chest, Arms & Shoulders, and Legs.  You repeat the same exercises on the opposite side of the body in the 2nd round.


Exercises include: spider planks, pushups, band & DB flys, plnak knee pull w/ pushups, band squats, band lunges, squat jumps, unweighted squats, lunge -dip- knee up combo, pliet & stir the pot, 1 arm tri press, 1 arm plank & tri extension, band curl, front & side raise, and reverse plank. There is no core section but some of the exercises do hit the core. 


This is probably a higher intermediate workout- but is very adaptable by adjusting your poundage. I was able to use my heaviest weights with no problems. Michelle does a great job of cuing and the sequencing is superb. This is heavy on chest and back work. Great workout- I was able to heavy up and my buns and chest were sore for days! 

Today's Tip: Refined Flours
Refined flours have been milled so much that nearly all of the nutritional value has been lost. Many refined flours are fortified in order to compensate for the loss of vitamins and minerals. Refined flours are very fine in texture, and enter the blood stream as quickly as refined sugars, causing the same spike and drop in energy levels. Refined flours include white flour and products created with white flour, such as pastries, cookies, cakes and crackers. Choose whole-grain flours and baked goods that are minimally refined, instead of refined white flour products. Read more on LiveStrong.com.

Today's LOLz:


No comments:

Post a Comment